Friday, January 11, 2008

Uncharted territory

....urology. Not my area of expertise, for obvious reasons, but I guess that's why I'm here. Be it known that I would much rather be spending my days attending deliveries and catching babies. It's been a long week, to say the least. The new rotation is okay although I miss the quiet peacefulness of my abandoned family practice rotation. The attending leaves much to be desired, but I don't hate it too much.

I spent the better part of this week and last weekend in the hospital with my grandmother. I got a call from Kim on Saturday while I was at work that (demented) grandmother was standing naked from the waist down in the kitchen and was quite confused when Kim showed up for her Saturday morning visit. She called rescue on my recommendation and they brought her to the ER where she proceeded to go downhill from that moment on. Kim took the kids home and I stayed with Merma in the ER trying to encourage her not to rip her IV out of her arm for the second time. I called family to notify them of this unexpected turn of events. My parents were vacationing in Myrtle Beach, my uncle at work, and my aunt very quickly on the road to Maine from Massachusetts. She was admitted on Saturday night with pneumonia and has since been recovering beautifully. She was transferred yesterday to rehab and is in surprisingly good spirits, she keeps telling me she's going home tomorrow. Okay, fine, whatever gets her through the days. I don't know at this point that she'll go home at all. Getting old must suck.

Simon has enjoyed visiting Merma at the hospital. He asks to go everyday and expects that the visit will include ice cream and "cow milk". He's in heaven. Last night he wheeled the walker around the nursing home saying, "I DRIVING!" The residents got a kick out of him. We'll probably head back tonight after I grocery shop. Did I mention in addition to all that fun and excitement our furnace died and we have spent the last three days at my parents house? What a week.

Match rank order list submitted, seven more weeks of school, still waiting on PE exam score...nearly there....

1 comment:

resident mama said...

ditto and ditto an i wish i only had 7 more weeks left. see you soon hopefully!